Replacement 20 Amp AIRPAX generator breaker

I have a Champion 2800/4000 portable generator with dual 20 Amp breakers, one of which has a broken lever and needs to be replaced. The original breaker is an:
AIRPAX LEG6-1-61F-20.0-A-01-V
I used a post on this forum to parse this part number to be:

• On toggle handle per unit
  • Single pole
  • Series
  • 50/60 Hz Short Delay
  • Inertial delay
  • 20.0 Amp Rated Current
  • Metric thread terminals
  • Black on/off Marked
  • VDE and CCC Approved

Other markings include:

• Max, V 125 50/60
  • Trip Curve 61F
  • Trip Amps 25
  • AIC 5000 A/C
  • Special Purpose, Not for General Use, Vert. Mount Only

I don’t know if this exact same breaker is still available but I could not find it and so I suspect it is not current. However, I am sure there is a reasonable replacement and I would like help identifying it. I see lots of similar-looking options on Digi-Key’s parts list but I can’t be sure of what to order. I suppose the replacement could be another brand, but then I wouldn’t know how to start figuring that out.

In consideration of a replacement, if possible, I would like to get a breaker that resists breaking as quickly. This current breaker often trips off with certain equipment even though the engine is not working hard. I’m not sure what is needed but maybe a longer “delay” or maybe higher tripping Amps.

I will appreciate any assistance that can be provided.

Brian v.

Hi Brianv,

Welcome to the Tech Forum!

Well, looking through our in-stock options, I didn’t see any Airpax options that seemed like a decent match. The nearest I could find were a couple of TE Connectivity breakers.

W67-X2Q12-20 Standard delay
W67-X2Q110-20 Long delay

Both of these have quick-connect type terminals rather than screw terminals, but they look like they have the same panel mounting dimensions, and they are both magnetic-hydraulic type breakers like your Airpax. I would expect the standard delay type to be very similar to what you have now, if not a tad faster, whereas the long delay type should allow more surge before tripping.

Neither of these are going to be identical to the original, so use with caution

David,

Thanks for taking a look at this. I agree that the standard delay part you identified appears to be functionally equivalent, but not identical. I’m still thinking about the impact of going to a long delay part.

Brian v.