TE 284065-3 interlocking feature

What is the interlocking feature on this part intended to interlock with? It doesn’t seem to interlock with a second piece of the same part number, at least according to the CAD model they provide.

Hello,

The photos on the TE site show the interlocking feature better than the drawing because the drawing does not have multiple views of the notch and key mechanism. Also, check the 3D files on the TE site (same page) to see if those are the same as the ones you are using.

According to the photos, or if you can move parts around in a CAD program, the two parts should slide together vertically. The key should slide down into the notch, and I’m assuming that these end up at the same height in relation to the board. I didn’t look at the parts within a CAD program, but they should match the features in those photos. If not, the file must be in error.

(Added) This link and drawing is more clear, although foreground and background lines can still confuse the issue: Buchanan Terminal Blocks

Is the picture that I uploaded in my original post not visible on your side?
The picture I included is from my CAD software. Unless I’m being dense, or the model file has errors, there is no way it will interlock with a second piece of the same part number.
I was thinking that maybe it was intended to interlock with a different part number?

@ Matt

The picture is visible on our site, and it does not look like those would interlock. So, an error in the model was one possible reason. A different interlocking piece was my other theory. I talked directly to a TE rep, though, and they confirmed that these should interlock with each other (daisy chain).

They have a few different CAD file formats on their 284065-3 product page, so we thought there might be a difference in the file that you are using. If the 3D view doesn’t show the notch and key correctly, though, it will never look like these parts can interconnect. You should be able to rotate the part to see how they will slide together vertically. The TE photos show that somewhat better–the key clearly protrudes far enough, and the notch and key depth should match to form a contiguous surface on the termination side.

@ Matt

I tried the TE .stp file, and it doesn’t seem to interlock, either. I will try one other approach, and I’ll post the result here, later. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Yes, I’ve downloaded the step, iges, and dxf files. They all seem to indicate the same problem

@ Matt

Thank you for waiting. I will give you a brief update that answers some of your questions. Part numbers 284065-2 and 284065-3 are sold on our site as “stand-alone” products without the interlocking feature (dovetail).

However, if you read Note #5 of the drawing (page 01), you’ll see that the part numbers from 284065-4 to 2-284065-5 are assembled from 284065-2 and 284065-3. These -2 and -3 components are customized, though, to fit together in various combinations to make larger connectors. “End” pieces for -2, for example, may have a dovetail notch or key on one side, but no features on the other side.

A -3 component may have a dovetail lock on one end, or it may have this on both ends as we saw in the 3D file. We have been looking at a “middle” section that has this feature on both ends (key to one side, notch to the other). This doesn’t explain why the 3D files aren’t correct, but I suspect that we are looking at some dimensions and form from a middle piece combined with one side of an end piece. There are some part numbers that require two middle pieces to connect, so the 3D file isn’t showing that. I do not currently know if those assembly components are sold as separate part numbers.

If I find more information, I’ll update this post or create a dedicated topic.

Are you saying that this part# does or does not have dovetails? If they are indeed “stand-alone” products, it is weird that the TE catalog page has an arrow pointing to that feature. Perhaps they are vestigial

That was my theory (vestigial structure) at first, too, but it didn’t match our photos (the -2 and -3 links above), so there was always some doubt. The “Note #5” and the drawings were also in conflict with our photos.

However, I asked our warehouse staff to look at some of these products that we have in stock. Part number 284065-3 has no dovetail locks, and I think it is safe to assume that 284065-2 doesn’t, either. If you look at the photos, you’ll notice that the ends are completely enclosed with the shroud. They’re not designed to merge with another part.

The -2 and -3 components that TE refers to are a set of variants used to make larger connectors (more positions). A -8 version, for example, is assembled from one modified -2 component (right side notch), and two modified -3 components (a middle block with both notch/key, and an end piece with a key). These building blocks have one or more “open” sides depending on where they sit in the assembly. End pieces will always have one side open, and middle pieces will always have both sides open. In the 3D .pdf file (360 degree) for part number 284065-8, these hybrid components are visible.

I’m still waiting to hear if those assembly components can be purchased separately, and also if there would be 3D files for them. Currently, I don’t see a way to use the existing CAD files for any accurate purpose.