Temperature Sensor

I am using a 15326386 temp sensor (which is now obsolete) and have recently came across a select few that are not working properly as the others have in the past. To test them in the past and currently, I attached them to a DMM and placed it in a cup of ice water and checked the resistance against the chart on the datasheet, which checked out fine. I figured that this would be the best way to test them. Is there a better way?

That’s a reasonable approach for doing basic function checking. A “hot” test, perhaps using the boiling point of water as a reference, might help reveal if any given unit has some sort of temperature-dependent fault.

Awesome idea. Thanks for the input. and a solution for finding a fault. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out if I even received the correct sensor. It seems like many have a similar appearance and can be a challenge seeing if I have the correct part. Don’t worry they weren’t from DigiKey. Lol

Some supply channels are more trustworthy than others…

You didn’t describe what you meant by “not working properly” but a fault proper would be likely to cause gross malfunction, rather than simple inaccuracy. Grabbing another thermometer and developing an R vs T curve for the device in hand might be an interesting experiment…

In temperature measurement, it is important to use the right measurement devices.
If there is some technical error in the device it will affect the entire readings and calculations.
as mentioned by @rick_1976 you can take another device and take respective measurements.
By comparing the values developed by the R Vs T curve you can find out the estimated errors in the measurement.