3D printed Ice Fishing Rod Grips

Over the past few months, I have started two new hobbies. I started building custom fishing rods for myself and my family to use and also purchased a 3D printer. After trying different handle styles and building a few rods, I decided to draft a handle in OnShape to test a 3D printed model out. I based my design off the cork handles I have used on my other builds. I started by first designing a split grip style handle. Below is what the 3d model turned out like:

Here is what the split grip looks like on the rod blank.

I designed a full grip style next. It was an extended version of the butt of the split grip I designed above. Here is what the 3D model turned out like:

Here is a picture of the grip on a rod blank

I designed each of these grips with the rod blank in mind. The center hole of the grip is 5mm in diameter. I labeled it clearly on OnShape so I can quickly and easily adapt this handle to any ice rod blank.

I originally printed these in PLA because that was what I had on hand. I have been thinking about trying a few different filaments to test durability of each of them. After talking to a few different rod builders online, they suggested trying ABS which will most likely be my next trial.

If you are looking for filaments that Digi-Key currently stocks, click here to view all in stock options.

I printed the first versions in a 25% infill but in a future version, I am going to try a higher infill rate to also test the durability.

Here are the .STL files for each of the grips.
Part Studio 1 - 5.5- full grip.stl (1.1 MB)
Part Studio 1 - Butt.stl (1.1 MB)
Part Studio 1 - Foregrip.stl (1.0 MB)

Here is a link to the drawing in OnShape: Click here to view the drawing on OnShape

If you haven’t tried OnShape, I highly recommend it. It is free and has excellent learning tutorials to help hobbyists out with any problems that may arise. I have tried many CAD programs and this was one of the easiest programs for me to draw in. If you want more info on OnShape, click on the picture below:

1 Like

do you have the file for the grip with the groves?

HI @candycane9944,

Which model are you looking for a model of? I have included a screenshot of all three that have band grooves. I do have to do some updating to the handle with the flat spot for the reel to sit on as I found out that it is too narrow, I just havn’t had time to update to this point.

hello, what software did you use to create 3d model of the grip?

Hello @3dsage,

I used OnShape to design these.

Good evening, Bit older post but have been looking for exactly what you have come up with! Are the stl files available for all the grips? Would love to give each a try if they available? Thanks for your effort.

Hello Mt204,

Since making this post, I’ve added a number of new grips along with adding some additional functionality into the OnShape drawing. In the drawing itself, I’ve added variable to each of the handles for the center hole where the rod blank fits, so that you can quickly size the handle to the size you need. If I were to export a copy of each model, you won’t get that functionality.

If you are interested, I can make a model of each with the largest size hole for the rods that I’ve currently built, however you may have to add tape arbors under the handle to accommodate that extra space.

I think the best option to give you the most flexibility would be to sign up for a free OnShape account so that you would get that functionality and make the handles the perfect fit for the rod you’re building. It is fairly easy to export a file from OnShape and if needed I can walk you through that process.

Thanks for reaching out on this, and if you have any other questions please let me know.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the quick reply, sometimes these threads go dormant to be never read again.
I did look at the OnShape drawings but it said they were view only, guessing if I signed up I could modify and use them I will try that.
I’m very impressed with the handles with the pocket and grooves for the bands as I use bands on almost all my rods.
Trying to teach an old dog new tricks with FreeCad and it can be a challenge at times, along with the fact learning to use a 3D printer.