ATMEL AVRISP STK500 not recognized

Hi!

I’m trying to use the ATMEL AVRISP 1597-1524-ND to program a custom PCB, but I am not able to get it to be recognized:
• neither by my Raspberry Pi 400, where it shows up as “QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter”
• nor on my windows machine, where it shows up as “USB Serial: Unknown” with no drivers (and therefore cannot be accessed by Microchip Studio)

I bought 3 of the programmers and they all show up the same, which makes me believe that I’m missing something fundamental. The one in my hand has serial number “AVRISP V2.02000082406”.

Can anyone help me get my Pi to recognize this tool?

Thanks!

For Windows please use this driver recommended by Seeed:

Regards,

Hi @RobertCNelson,

Thank you so much for such a quick reply!
I’ll definitely use that driver for Windows, but the target application is to have this device on a manufacturing line, run by a Raspberry Pi. I’ve also found the linux version of that driver, and hopefully that will work!
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ch340-drivers/linux

Thanks again.

No luck with the linux driver. It seems like these drivers have not been well maintained recently–as the makefile doesn’t function properly on the new RasPi. It continues to be unrecognized.

Would love any final ideas before I return them!

Thanks!

For Windows, the drivers are found bundled in AVR Studio from Atmel. I had to install AVR Studio (I needed it anyway), but it also provided the drivers for my STK500 / AVRISP USB programmer.

Hope this helps!
Trevor

@Powerman this device in question, is a little odd. While it’s sold/manufactured under that title, it has no history with Atmel/Microchip. It’s basically a “avrisp clone” using an off the shelf USB micro, that emulates instructions that Atmel published for the classic Atmel AVRISP MKII devices, so for Atmel Studio it “looks” like the old AVRISP, but isn’t… Sadly the chip-set utilized in this clone isn’t the greatest for Windows or Linux support.

One common firmware is this Project: Four Walled Cubicle - AVRISP-MKII Clone

Regards,

If you’re looking to use Raspberry Pi to program AVRs you’re better off going with something like the programming hat from Sparkfun, Part Number: DEV-14747
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sparkfun-electronics/DEV-14747/9555604