Dupont Connectors and How to Find Them from Digi-Key

A common request we get in Applications Engineering is for ‘Dupont’ connectors, which are popular for hobby use in small electronics due to their compact size, easy use, and ubiquitous nature. Unfortunately ‘Dupont’ is a brand name rather than an industry standardized term, and this can make locating similar connectors on Digi-Key’s website frustrating if you don’t know what you’re looking for.

Much like the infamous case of “The Molex Connector”, there’s no specific industry term that calls out Dupont connectors and only Dupont connectors. The style people commonly think of as ‘Dupont’ is a vairation of rectangular connector characterized by a very low vertical profile, black coloration, and a 2.54mm standard pitch. The easiest way to find the ballpark these devices reside in is in our Free Hanging, Panel Mount | Rectangular Connectors | Electronic Components Distributor DigiKey category, then apply the following filters:

DUPONT%20-%20FILTERS%201
PITCH: 2.54mm
NUMBER OF ROWS: 1

DUPONT%20-%20FILTERS%202
MOUNTING TYPE: Free-Hanging (In-Line)

This gets you to the basic structure of a ‘Dupont’ connector. They do sometimes come in dual-row varieties, but those are a more complex search - for now we’re going to focus on the basic, single-row types common to hobby electronics.

Next, select your fastening type - or rather, your lack of a fastening type.

DUPONT%20-%20FILTERS%203

Dupont connectors are most notable for their slim profile, which most achieve by not having any retention save friction. This filter is what will get you closest to the style usually intended when one is search for ‘the Dupont connector’.

Finally, just to drive it home, you can filter for color, as the black color is fairly universal to this style of connector. Normally color is completely inconsequential to electrical performance, but in this specific case filtering away other colors actually helps eliminate series that are close but not quite what we need.

DUPONT%20-%20FILTERS%204

Once we’ve done all of this, we arrive at a table of search results that looks something like this:

Success! Note that two series in particular jump to the start of the list - Molex’s SL 70400 series and TE’s AMPMODU MTE series. These are both good quick-and-dirty shortcuts for finding ‘Dupont’-style parts quickly, but they’re not the only options, nor is this the only method of finding them or the only place where they can be found.

If you’re looking for a different type of Dupont connector, or are having trouble figuring out which filters to use in which categories to try and find what you need, don’t hesitate to ask for help! Digi-Key applications technicians can always help you get a bead on the parts you need.

I hope this helps demystify this often confusing connector search for you, and happy hobbying!

3 Likes

I think there’s now a simpler answer: the Harwin M20 series, which you carry, such as the socket connector M20-116. This is very close to the “DuPont” connectors that are widely imported from China (imitations of an obsolete DuPont product).

Molex SL is also a good match, e.g. socket connector 0016020086, pin 0016020107, housing 0050579304 and many others.

I’m fairly sure these fit each other’s housings. You seem to have more Molex than Harwin housings.

I don’t think there is a current TE (AMP) product that is a really good match.

Hello. Welcome to the Digi-Key Technical Forum. Thank you for offering more options . We really appreciate the feedback.

After more digging, I have an even better answer: the DuPont Mini-PV is still made by Amphenol and sold by Digi-Key.

But it is about twice as expensive as the Molex SL series, which is a very good substitute.

There’s even more confusion when we list as Supplier TapeCase and correlated Mfr: Dupont with Custom Adhesive Solutions – Case by Case ….

All of these mentioned series are excellent choices for ‘DuPont’ connectors. Sadly, there’s no single “correct” answer for hobbyists or other small-project folks who are trying to find “the DuPont connector”. It’s similar to when people ask us for “the Molex connector”. DuPont is a company/brand that made a great many products, there’s no single correct device for this question. Rather than direct customers to a single series that may or may not fit their need, my hope was to empower people to locate the device they needed at the price point they could tolerate.

If someone is having issues doing so, we’re always available to help. Mcovington’s recommendations are a great place to start as well.