FMCW Beam steering

Need help to find FMCW radar have the ability to digitally beam forming/storming. Any recommendation will be appreciated ? Thanks

Hello khaldoon.ishmael, Welcome to the DigiKey TechForum.
I found an evaluation board 2887-OPS241-B-FM-RP-ND, that you can look at.
If you are looking for just a module, Click here the the available options.

1 Like

Hello @khaldoon.ishmael,

TI’s mmWave radar sensors are very popular and would be the first place I suggest you look. They come in both automotive (AWRxxx) and industrial (IWRxxx) varieties, and all feature antenna arrays which enable beamforming. Of course, you’ll want to be sure that the array configuration is suitable for your application. We do have a getting started guide available for the AWR1642. I’ve also come across many academic papers which utilize the IWR1443. There are many other products in the series which you may want to consider as well.

Infineon’s offerings are also worth taking a look at. I’ve had some success using the BGT60TR13C module and baseboard. However, beware of products like the DEMODISTANCE2GOTOBO1 which only feature one TX and one RX antenna (obviously not capable of beamforming).

If you are a beginner in this arena, I would highly suggest you choose a sensor / development board which includes documentation and examples specific to beamforming. For example, several demo applications available for the AWR1642, including the out-of-the-box demo and the SSR Demo, demonstrate beamforming in the azimuthal plane. There’s also a very good training series available which covers angle estimation. Infineon provides AN652: Digital Beamforming using DEMO BGT60TR13C as well as examples of range/angle estimation in their Radar Development Kit software.

2 Likes