Guidance on Replacement for Old Timey Transistor

I’m refurbishing an old Bearcat ii scanner for my dad and I need to replace a transistor and I’m not electronics savvy enough to figure out what I should buy. I’ve found the old manual and the part is listed as an RCA 43023 transistor; it’s part Q30 on the diagram. I’ve found the data sheet here but I don’t know how to parse this to find what I’m looking for.

Any support/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to the tech forum !

We are looking into this and will get back to you as soon as we can.

Thank you


1 Like

Hello DrLittleGoat,

Welcome to the forum.

The RigPix link to the Bearcat scanner appears to be broken and there are too many models to choose from. To refine the search please:

  1. let us know the model number of the scanner

  2. provide a picture of the transistor

Hopefully we can find a good substitute.

Best Wishes,


P.S. By chance did you transpose the numbers? Instead, are we looking for an RCA 40323? If yes, then a substitute may be the NTE128 NTE Electronics, Inc | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey Marketplace. Know that the 40323 is listed in a 1966 RCA Transistor Manual (SC-12).

P.P.S. You may be interested in this transistor substitution video I constructed before joining the DigiKey team.


Oh my…I absolutely transposed the numbers my apologies. Good link is here - but the transistor you’re suggesting looks absolutely correct. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

That’s a nice unit.

Know that D6 and Q30 work together to provide a regulated voltage of approximately 10 VDC. Diode D6 is a Zener regulator and Q30 is a voltage follower.

Kindly let us know if you were able to restore the unit to full operation.