Laptop AC adapter question

I’ve had a laptop for 4 years now and I’ve recently started having a problem with it being when it is on high loads for extended periods of time, mostly gaming related with the AC adapter connected it suddenly stops charging.

After some research I assume the power supply either broke or something is wrong with the battery, not being savy enough I could be completely wrong and I’d like to have some pointers before trying stuff out, I’m still using the factory AC adapter that came with it and I was thinking about getting a new one from a store and see if it helps, also if I would do that do I need to get the exact same model/manufacturer or just keep the same input/output and voltage/wattage?

Careful, most of the big OEM’s actually have a authentication scheme on the power interface. Thus you just can’t get something with the same power specifications. In the past I’ve seen windows pop-up’s saying this ‘charger’ not valid and running on low wattage warning…

Thus this forces you to search for manufacture ‘compatible’ adapters, which are a little cheaper then OEM’s.

In the mean time, one thing i would try. Try removing your laptop’s battery when “gaming” this will help take some of the load of the AC adapter when your laptop is pulling power.

Regards,

Appreciated the response, I took the charger to a local repair shop and they found a replacement of the same manufacturer that seems to be working fine.

I had tried that said suggestion but instead of stopping to charge the computer just immediately shuts down.

Glad you got it working.

That’s a little scary for your data, if the computer wants to shutdown when the battery is removed. What happens to your data when the battery goes completely out…

Regards,

I haven’t had any data problems so far, what I got told is that the OEM AC adapter just failed over time and had a faulting connector to the laptop, hopefully the replacement is good enough.