Looking for a replacement switch for a Game Boy Advance SP's shoulder buttons

I have a couple Game Boy Advance SPs that are in need of repair. I currently have everything I need, except the shoulder switches.

I did try searching here on Digi-Key, but I’m not really sure what I should be searching for (and I honestly haven’t used the site much when I don’t already have a model number for a part), so I didn’t have any luck finding anything…

I found these ones on Amazon, but I don’t want to pay almost $10 CAD for two switches if I don’t absolutely have to

I found what look to be the same ones as the Amazon switches on AliExpress for $0.33 CAD per switch. Even including the $3.24 in shipping, I could get 19 of them for the same price as two from Amazon, but shipping is estimated at two months…

As a side note, I was linked to some TE Connectivity switches here on Digi-Key (manufacturer part number 1825027-8, Digi-Key part number 450-1657-ND) that work for a regular GBA, but even if the pin spacing is the same, they would be upside-down if used on an SP. This orientation is all I’ve been able to find, but I need the exact opposite (wider pins on top for the SP vs on the bottom for the regular GBA)

Anybody here have any suggestions?

I have looked at the switches that we have in our system, but I am not seeing that we have a switch that matches the original board mount for the switch. The switches that you have linked have a board mount support to the side of the switch, instead of being behind the switch.

Julli122e

Yes Search for “Game Boy Advance SP shoulder switch” in Google will give you more options. As stated by Steven back in March we do not have these switches .

https://www.google.com/search?q=Game+Boy+Advance+SP+shoulder+switch&sca_esv=584838229&source=hp&ei=oDxfZbD6F9_cptQP8pqSsA0&iflsig=AO6bgOgAAAAAZV9KsJ797h7Wp06QREoII_1QRg_85nGS&ved=0ahUKEwiwytmWh9qCAxVfrokEHXKNBNYQ4dUDCA0&uact=5&oq=Game+Boy+Advance+SP+shoulder+switch&gs_lp=Egdnd3Mtd2l6IiNHYW1lIEJveSBBZHZhbmNlIFNQIHNob3VsZGVyIHN3aXRjaDIHECEYoAEYCjIHECEYoAEYCjIHECEYoAEYCjIHECEYoAEYCjIIECEYFhgeGB1IoAlQlQZYlQZwAXgAkAEAmAF4oAF4qgEDMC4xuAEDyAEA-AEC-AEBqAIKwgIQEAAYAxiPARjlAhjqAhiMA8ICEBAuGAMYjwEY5QIY6gIYjAM&sclient=gws-wiz#ip=1

Thanks Craig

Yeah, I ended up ordering from AliExpress (probably the ones I linked in the original post, but I’m not 100% sure)

As of the time I posted, I needed them quicker than AliExpress would’ve gotten the switches to me, but something came up for the friend I was fixing one of the the Game Boys for (the other was for myself), so I had more time. I just ended up ordering a bunch so I have them if needed in the future

1 Like