Molex part numbering format

A question that we get from time to time is what is the difference in the Molex part numbering structure listed on Molex website, verses Digi-Key’s website.

In speaking with my product manager I found out that Molex was running short of part numbers a few years back and elected to change from their existing format to a 10 digit format. There was no change made to these parts. There was simply additional digits added to allow product expansions

An example of this would be part number 53309-1070 is listed in our system as 0533091070. All of these parts are listed on the Digi-Key site under the new format, however we also tag the old part number so our customers can easily find the parts. You will often see these tags listed as other names on the bottom of the product page.

This can also be confirmed on the Molex site if you go into the part details you will see the new part number and the Old PN listed. Here is a clip from the Molex site.

For this reason you will at times also find the old part number listed on the drawing/data sheet.

Should you have questions on Molex part numbers or any other part number please feel free to ask and our team of techs and engineers will work to get you the answer you are looking for.

I am interested in Molex’s part number format. Is there an instruction similar to the instruction from Vishay on C and R from Molex? I would like to scramble what Molex’s part number means.

Unfortunately, Molex’s part structure does vary on identification. The only thing consistent is the first 5-6 digits in the Molex part number is the series of product. In our system, we have added the series name as well as the series numbering structure to help guide customers (see screenshot below).

As an example, the Pico-Clasp 501330 series the last 4 digit’s in the part number represent the circuit size, and the housing color.

For Pico-Lock 504051 series, the asterisk’s in the beginning of the last 4 digits represents the circuit size. 504051**01.

For Milli-Grid 151014 Series, the asterisk’s in the last 4 digits represents the circuit size 15101400**

For the remaining 4 digit call-outs they can be vertical/right angle or tin/gold call-outs. The only thing consistent is the beginning 5-6 digits. This information is available on Molex’s datasheet for each series.

Regarding the “other names” in our system, there can be an abundance of different part numbers structures. As acquisitions happen, we keep all old part numbers in our system and link them with the new part number, so customers can find what they are looking for and not receive an error in our system or zero search results. This includes with and without dashes, and the extra zero’s in front to keep up with Molex’s 10 digit format.

If you have any additional questions feel free to let us know.