Need help with relay options

I am working on a van conversion. I have both 12V and 120V circuits (provided by inverter). I would like to be able to control a 120V outlet that will power a hot water heater via a lighted 12V switch. I am thinking a relay is the way to accomplish this, but I’m not sure what one would work. Thx!!

@shaunwunch

Would you know the maximum current the load side of the relay may see?

@shaunwunch

If not, we do have a fair number of option that can work.

However it would help to know the current the water heat may end up needing

You’ll need to figure a current rating requirement based on the rated power of the load, but most electric water heaters will want something on the order of 15A. A relay rated to switch at least that @ your 120V would be a minimum. While a single-pole unit could likely serve, I’d suggest a double pole since they don’t cost a great deal more and offer some advantages in a situation like this. HE2AN-Q-DC12V might be a good choice.

Some illuminated rocker switches that ought to be compatible with 12V can be found here.

Note that getting 1500W from a 12V source implies upwards of a 125A current draw, plus conversion losses. Do take that into account…

Terminals for that relay WM18241-ND

Tooling for that terminal WM18730-ND

The water heater is rated at 11.3A

The relay Rick suggested then would work nicely.

Thank you all for the quick help! Much appreciated!!

I was looking at the relay recommended by Rick…it looks like that one is a DPST? Would a SPST be a better option? How about something like this RELAY?

If that would work, does digi-key sell one of those? Thx again!!

That solid state relay will generate a bunch of heat, which means wasted electricity, that’s why it has an enormous heat sink.

An electro-mechanical relay like Rick recommended will not generate significant heat so will not be wasting electricity.

SPST would not be better but it might be cheaper.

1 Like

Thanks! Appreciate the help!!