Polarity Reversal using a DPDT Switch

Below is a simple schematic that was created to help show a possible way to use a DPDT switch to reverse the polarity on a motor. You can see when the switch is is the up position the positive (+) from the voltage source is routed to the positive (+) side of the motor. When in the down position the positive side(+) is routed to the negative (-) side of the motor.

Please note that this drawing is for informational purposes only. the full circuit would likely involve a form of protection and an off position in the switch. You also need to verify you have a bi directional motor. The Positive and negative on this motor are given for reference only.

1 Like

Click here for DPDT switches: EG2458-ND | EG2419-ND

These are just a couple examples of motor reverse switches where the middle actuator position is ā€œoffā€. EG2419-ND is (momentary) in each direction where EG2458-ND is latched on in each direction. Being that these have a center ā€œoffā€ position, these wouldnā€™t necessarily require a separate switch.

Since the above link was so popular, click here for all of our DPDT switches with three actuator positions. Notice momentary and latching options with different termination styles.

It may help for visualization to show the back of a DPDT switch for wiring, itā€™s a criss cross pattern:

2 Likes

I need some help. I think Iā€™m in the right area but have a slightly different application. I recently purchased a dpdt relay to reverse polarity on a linear actuator. here is the catch. Iā€™m using a 6 volt (non-reversable) momentary 1 second signal to latch the 12 volt which needs to have reverse polarity to run the linear actuator up and down. Any help much appreciated

sshannon,

Like they explained above, you have to run jumpers in a criss-cross pattern.
Reversing Polarity
In the Normally Closed position, when the relay is not activated, the + will go out on the Blue line, and the - will be on the Red.
When you active your relay, the + will be on the Red line, and the - on the blue.

1 Like