RE: PICO-PI-IMX7 and Siging In/Um?

@silver2row

Click on this link:

https://www.digikey.com/eewiki/display/linuxonarm/PICO-PI-IMX7#PICO-PI-IMX7-Bootloader:imx_usb_loader

Then scroll down to here:

That’s where you should be…

Regards,

Okay,

Sir…the link gave me the run-around or something. I got you now but I should be in eMMC Boot Mode and not USB Boot Mode. I am in USB Boot Mode right now b/c I was planning on starting from scratch. I will change to eMMC Boot Mode now. Bear w/ me.

Seth

P.S. I will be back in a bit.

Okay…@RobertCNelson:

Sir, I got in eMMC Boot Mode again and I am in u-boot but I had to get into u-boot by using these commands:

sudo ~/imx_usb_loader/imx_usb SPL

and

sudo ~/imx_usb_loader/imx_usb u-boot.img

I am building the kernel right now while in my dev. desktop and in the u-boot console w/ ums 0 mmc 0. Right?

Seth

P.S. Is there anything I should check right now before proceeding?

Okay…@RobertCNelson:

I am on the mount partition section and I already see that my system is mounted at /media/rootfs/.

I think this is the point where I went awry. I was mounting things that were already mounted. I will update you soon.

Seth

P.S. Also sir, this command, sudo sh -c "echo ' append root=/dev/mmcblk2p1 ro rootfstype=ext4 rootwait quiet' >> /media/rootfs/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf", is confusing me at root=/dev/mmcblk2p1.

Should I turn root=/dev/mmcblk2p1 to root=/dev/sdb1? I am asking b/c I already tried this idea. I tried root=/dev/sdb and root=/dev/sdb1. Please send guidance.

P.S. Please reply when you have time.

umount: /media/rootfs: not mounted.

Sir,

@RobertCNelson, this is the print out on the terminal once I perform the umount command.

Seth

No you should NOT change that. That is a variable read by u-boot “running” on the PICO-PI-IMX7 that is passed to the kernel booting on the PICO-PI-IMX7 to determine the “root=” aka Root File System location (onboard eMMC).

If you were to “change” that you better make sure there is a disk/partition plugged into the PICO-PI-IMX7, otherwise it will halt and complain about un-able to find the Root File System (you’d actually need “two” usb flash drives plugged in, as one would be /dev/sda and the other /dev/sdb) .

Reminder, most of the wiki can be copy and pasted directly “as-is”, there are only a few situations documented where you need to determine something and either set a variable (export DISK=/dev/sdb) or choose one of two options.

Regards,

That’s a sign that you skipped this step:
PICO-MOUNT

Start over again, but you’ll probably have to remove “/media/rootfs/” as it now contains a random armhf based root file system.

sudo rm -rf /media/rootfs/

Remember: Copy and Paste every section as written, skipping no steps…

Regards,

Yes Sir,

I see now that we are exchanging the file system from xx to xxx. I just need to follow the instructions w/out question. Yes sir.

Seth

P.S. I will be right back.

Hello Sir,

That is exactly what happened. I had to figure out how to get out of having two /media/rootfs systems on my desktop. That was an odd day.

Seth

Sir,

Seth here. Okay, first off. Let me thank you for hanging in there w/ me. I know I made mix-up after distraction. So, for this final time, I got it to allow me to sign in.

But…yes but.

The issue remains, I think there is a failed cpu b/c of this line (even though I can sign in to a system): CPU 0 failed to init idle CPU OPS.

If this is just a random occurrence, okay. I can live w/ the issue for now until I get the system “fixed-up.”

Seth

P.S. You rule, duder. Thank you again, sir.

That’s not a “failed” cpu, that’s the cpuidle “driver” either the imx7 is too new and support for cpuidle hasn’t fully matured, or it’s already fixed on mainline.

Regards,

Sir,

Oh. I will look into that right now. Thank you for all your reading capabilities, i.e. even when I made no sense at all. Thank you!

Seth

Sir,

I rebooted the device. I cannot sign in via ssh. I forgot to check the ip addr w/ that cmd.

Seth

P.S. What in the world do I do now?

Login over serial console, and type “sudo ifconfig -a” then write down the ip address…

Regards,

Yes Sir,

I am going off to do that now.

Seth

Hey Sir,

I have issues. My desktop is not locating this “drive” on my computer. The PICO board is not showing up. I tried /proc/partitions and lsblk. Where else would I look? I will check sudo ifconfig -a on the desktop. I will check that out now. I can undo the automount on this device/the desktop and try that way.

Seth

No, run “sudo ifconfig -a” from the PICO-PI-IMX7 to find out what ip address it has, while it is running Linux.

Use the USB console port to login to the PICO-PI-IMX7…

Regards,

Hello Sir,

I tried to sign in. Should I try w/ u-boot again? I cannot contact my board in any other method so far.

Seth

Username is “debian”, password is “temppwd”…

Please show the exact error message you are getting when you try to login thru the “USB” Serial console port of the PICO-PI-IMX7…

PICO-SERIAL

Regards,

@RobertCNelson,

Everything works now. I had to restart the dev. desktop.

Seth

P.S. Thank you again, sir.