Sim Card Needed?

I purchased A Digi Transport WR11 XT for an application to allow access from a machine supplier to my machine for to allow them to diagnose problems with the machines. They need to have two way communication to access the system and send code and to receive machine status from my side.
I purchased a Verizon sim Card DVM0007e. Digi tels me this is the wrong card and I need another type of card. See the note from Digi below:

If you have a need for someone to remotely access this WR11 then I’m afraid that would not be possible because of this SIM card and APN. The “vzwinternet” APN (and any SIM that uses this APN, which is related to the Verizon data plan) limits you (the WR11 in this case) to only be able to get OUT TO the Internet, not vice versa. It’s a basic type of plan. You have a private NAT’d (unreachable from the Internet) mobile IP address with this SIM card. If you need a Public (as opposed to Private) mobile IP address then you would need a different “higher tier” SIM and data plan. Does this make sense?

Help!

Hello Tom!

I’m assuming you purchased our Digi-Key Part number 602-2275-ND, and in that case we do have a recommended data plan that can be viewed in the link below:

As for a higher tier SIM, I am unsure of what would be best for you. Here is a link to our stocking options of SIM cards:

If this doesn’t help, I suggest contacting Digi for clarification as to what type of SIM/Data plan they suggest as opposed to just identifying it as “Higher Tier”.

Hello @Tom.Wheeler,

I’m looking into what Digi means by a higher tier SIM. Do you have a name of who you talked to at Digi?

I received this response from Digi:

We do not really endorse any mobile operator over another, it would just be a matter of contacting the sales team of your mobile operator (e.g. AT&T, Verizon, etc.) of your choice, perhaps one that has the best coverage for the area in question where the device will be deployed.

The P/N of this WR11 XT is WR11-M600-DE1-XB and here are the cellular specifications (what frequencies and bands it supports):

4G LTE North America: 700MHz(B12, B13) / 850MHz(B5) / 1700MHz(AWS)(B4) / 1900MHz(B2)
3G HSPA+: 850 / 1900 MHz

@Tom.Wheeler Where did you purchase your SIM card from?

Can you verify that you are using 602-2275-ND? If so, can you verify what country you are trying to use this from? From there I can recommend one of our SIM cards and data plans.

Kelsie,

The Digi Rep provided this to me today. I can confirm it matches the model number I wrote down for the unit. We are using this in the United States , however
the supplier of the machine may be calling from Germany if that matters:

The P/N of this WR11 XT is WR11-M600-DE1-XB and here are the cellular specifications (what frequencies and bands it supports):

4G LTE North America: 700MHz(B12, B13) / 850MHz(B5) / 1700MHz(AWS)(B4) / 1900MHz(B2)
3G HSPA+: 850 / 1900 MHz

Hello Tom, I’m unable to locate SIM you purchased. Can you please provide your invoice number, so I can see what all was ordered?

Thanks Tom. I will have to contact our data plan carrier to verify if M2M will work with the verizon plan. It may take a little time. I will let you know as soon as I have a response.

1 Like

@Tom.Wheeler, I spoke with a few people and it sounds like you need a static IP address. RevX (our data plan provider) provides static IP addresses. It is a $25 one time fee. They set it up manually and they need your account number, ICCID, IMEI, and the data plan you want. If you would like to do this, you can email me the information at kelsie.mcmillin@digikey.com and I will forward it to where it needs to go.