Temperature Dependent Platinum Thin Film Chip Resistor (RTD) of Vishay

Anyone can provide a list of necessary electric elements and devices to read temperature from Temperature Dependent Platinum Thin Film Chip Resistor (RTD) of Vishay, if I use micro-controller. Thank you.

Hello,
Welcome to the Digikey tech forum. Can you please add some more detail about your application. What is the part number of the Vishay resistor you’re going to use? Do you have already have a micro-controller or preference to one ?

1 Like

I am monitoring temperature in the refrigerated dragon fruit container. I tend to use RTD sensor of Vishay, but I don’t have any experience with using Thin Film Chip Resistor. I don’t know necessary elements or devices to read temperature from RTD sensor of Vishay. How these elements are connected to each other ?

I use arduino for reading temperature. According to my knowledge, I need wheastone circuit to read resistance and aimplifer.

You can show me how theses elements or devices are connected to each other ?

Hi duc.ngohacker,

To use an RTD, you will generally need a constant current or constant voltage source, a precision reference resistor, and an ADC, preferably with differential inputs, to get accurate measurements. Here are a few appnotes that show various methods to accomplish this:

Frankly, for your application, since precision temperature measurement is probably not critical, you may also want to consider a simple solid-state sensor which allows for a much simpler interface for reasonable accuracy. Here’s a link to some we carry, some with analog and some with digital outputs.

1 Like

After reading the articles, I must have delta-sigma converter ADC and RTD sensor thin film to read temperature ? You can recommend me delta-sigma converters ADC of popular brands ? Thank you.

Vào Th 5, 19 thg 10, 2023 vào lúc 01:55 David_1528 via Electronic Component and Engineering Solution Forum - TechForum │ Digi-Key <notifications@digikey.discoursemail.com> đã viết:

One of the simplest solutions for using an RTD is probably the MAX31865A. It is described within the link I listed above, and again here. It contains an ADC, provides a current source, and interfaces via SPI to an external MCU. It only requires a few passive components to make a working sensor.

If I use RTD thin film, I can use MAX31685A to read temperature.

Thank you, you have a guide for schematic of MAX31685

Vào Th 7, 21 thg 10, 2023 vào lúc 01:48 David_1528 via Electronic Component and Engineering Solution Forum - TechForum │ Digi-Key <notifications@digikey.discoursemail.com> đã viết:

Here is one of the schematics from page 24 of the datasheet:

We also sell several boards with the MAX31685A already mounted and ready to use:

3648 for 100 Ohm RTD (PT100), 3.3V or 5.0V
3328 for 1000 Ohm RTD (PT1000), 3.3V or 5.0V
MIKROE-2815 for 100 Ohm RTD (PT100), 3.3V only
MAX31865PMB1# for PT100 or PT1000 RTD, 3.3V only

If I buy ENS210-LQFM I2C, QFN4, DIGITAL PRE-CALIBRATE (temperature/humidity sensor), I need which electric elements to read temperature and humidity.You can list them in detail, because this is the first time I buy something of digikey, I have to ask carefully to reduce the cost of shipping.

Vào Th 2, 23 thg 10, 2023 vào lúc 21:18 David_1528 via Electronic Component and Engineering Solution Forum - TechForum │ Digi-Key <notifications@digikey.discoursemail.com> đã viết:

Hi duc.ngohacker,

You’ll need a microcontroller which operates at same voltage as the ENS210-LQFM (1.71V ~ 3.6V, typically 3.3V) unless you plan to use level shifters for the interface. It will require a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor rated for at least 6.3V. You will also need pull-up resistors for the I2C lines. The optimal value varies, depending on the length of the traces and what else is also placed on the bus, but 4.7k is a common value.

As an alternative, we also sell a couple evaluation boards of that product, the MIKROE-3270 and 2618-ENS210-QF_EK_STV2-ND, which have the part already soldered down and connections brought out for easy interface.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Vào Th 4, 25 thg 10, 2023 vào lúc 06:25 David_1528 via Electronic Component and Engineering Solution Forum - TechForum │ Digi-Key <notifications@digikey.discoursemail.com> đã viết:

The measurement range for humidity of MIKROE-3270 ? I cannot determine this range in the datasheet. It is suitable to monitor and operate at temperature (5 - 10 C) and humidity (above 90%).

Vào Th 4, 25 thg 10, 2023 vào lúc 06:51 ĐỨC NGÔ MINH <duc.ngohacker@hcmut.edu.vn> đã viết:

MIKROE-3270

Measurement
from what my research shows it uses

With the ENS210 sensor.
An ultra-accurate
temperature and relative
humidity sensor

temperature range: -40 … 100 °C

humidity 0 … 100% RH

I need other elements to protect the MIKROE-3270 from vibration, dust and water, because I apply it in the refrigerated container (5 - 10 C and above 90% RH).

Vào Th 4, 25 thg 10, 2023 vào lúc 07:48 Robert_1552 via Electronic Component and Engineering Solution Forum - TechForum │ Digi-Key <notifications@digikey.discoursemail.com> đã viết:

It has the ENS210 mounted on it, so the sensing range is found in the datasheet for the sensor itself.

From page 3 of the datasheet:

From page 35:

I found no documentation referring to vibration.

I know the sensing range is suitable for my application, and it’s necessary to have anything to protect the sensor from vibration, dust and water ? Thank you.

Vào Th 4, 25 thg 10, 2023 vào lúc 09:38 David_1528 via Electronic Component and Engineering Solution Forum - TechForum │ Digi-Key <notifications@digikey.discoursemail.com> đã viết:

Every product will have some vibration limit, but I found no documentation mentioning it for this product. However, I would be very surprised if a refrigeration application would be a problem for it, with the possible exception of if it were mounted on top of, or right next to a compressor motor.

Regarding water, from the text I previously copied from the datasheet, it is not harmed by immersion or condensation. I could imagine dust being an issue, so adding some sort of dust protection filter could be useful.

If you are open to other product possibilities, Sensirion makes some similar sensors which have a PTFE filter installed at the factory to protect it from both water and dust. Here are a few examples.

And here is one more:

SHT85

Here’s a useful Design Guide from Sensirion which gives recommendations for be in-application performance.