What is the best way to connect a phone with USB-C to an automotive auxiliary audio port?

Converting from USB-C Male to 3.5mm Phone (Headphone) Plug (Male).

While many car manufacturers have embraced newer technologies such as Bluetooth, WiFi, and Satalite to provide a method of delivering your favorite music to your car audio system, sometimes the tried-and-true method of plugging in a cable is just the easiest way to go.

To accomplish this connection these cables have been manufactured and are available in places on the internet, but I would point out a couple of flaws with this cable.

The first issue is that a cable like this only has one purpose. While that might not be a big thing to you now, it might be nice to realize that you already have what you need when another situation arises.

The second issue is that if you are listening to your music through this cable, your phone will have to be charged wirelessly or not at all. Eventually you will be looking at taking some time to put some charge into your phone which is down time.

Okay,Okay, I hear you. I will tell you what I would suggest instead.

First we need a product to get the audio out of our phone. Here are two products to look at.

Part Number U437-001-C
Description USB-C to 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Adapter - USB 3.1Gen 1 (5 Gbps), PD 3.0, Silver
Manufacturer Tripp Lite
Features

3.5 mm Audio Adapter Connects to Your Computer’s USB-C PortThis USB Type-C to Stereo Audio Adapter allows you to connect a stereo microphone, earbuds, headphones or speakers to your MacBook Pro, Windows laptop, Chromebook or other device with a USB-C port. Not only does this adapter allow you to bypass a defective sound card or 3.5 mm headphone jack, it also lets you connect to a device that offers only USB-C ports. The adapter converts digital high-resolution audio to analog to maintain a crisp,
lively sound.

PD Charging Port Charges Connected Device via AC Wall ChargerThe USB-C Power Delivery port supports power output up to 20V 3A (60W), which is sufficient for charging the connected source device more quickly than other chargers. Just connect the device’s AC wall charger to the USB-C PD port. By connecting both the USB-C PD and 3.5 mm audio ports at the same time, you can listen to your tunes or record a podcast without using precious battery power.

Part Number U437-001
Description USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter
Manufactuer Tripp Lite
Features

3.5 mm Audio Adapter Connects to Your Laptop’s USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 Port. This USB Type-C Stereo Audio Adapter allows you to connect a microphone, earbuds, headphones or speakers to your MacBook Pro, Windows laptop, Chromebook or other device with a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port. This adapter allows you to bypass a defective sound card or 3.5 mm headphone jack, as well as connect to a device that offers only USB-C ports.

While it is true that these seem to be essentially the same thing, I would like to assert that either one of these can perform functions the other cannot. For example, either one of these will allow you to use any standard set of headphones, even those that have a microphone build in.

To me, this is deal maker: The one on top will allow you to charge while enjoying music. This can mean the difference between arriving at your destination with a fully charged battery vs a drained one.

Because there is a jack rather than a plug we do need to address that by getting a Male to Male Phone cable.

Part Number P312-001
Description 3.5mm Mini Stereo Audio Cable for Microphones, Speakers and Headphones (M/M), 1 ft. (0.31 m)
Manufacturer Tripp Lite
Features

● Connect mini stereo audio equipment
● Perfect for use with mobile devices such as iPod, iPhone, and MP3 players
● Molded cables with built-in strain relief
● Gold plated connectors ensure excellent conductivity

Now you can use this cable with any audio source that utilizes a headphone jack such as a Walkman, CD Player, or MP3 player.

I do hope this helps you!

Additional items that may be of interest:

Adapters and Converters
Additional adapters of various types can be found here.

USB Cables
You can find charging cables here.

Battery Chargers
AC DC Desktop and Wall Adapters
We keep products that provide power by USB in these two categories.