XBee S3B

Why is the XBee ProS3B counting in hexadecimal on the serial line, and how do I make it stop?

Can you clarify which Xbee part# you are using, what version firmware is in xbee, general description of your xbee network and what the xbee is supposed to be doing?

Best Regards,

XBee Pro S3B : part # : 602-1353-ND
I’m not sure what version firmware is in the xbee?
I downloaded XCTU to do the basic configuration.

I am trying to use 2 xbees to remote control an electric car.
The transmitter consists of control buttons to arduino1, which sends a char into Din(pin3) on XBee1.
Xbee1 transmits over the air.
Xbee2 receives signal over the air, and transmits char from Dout(pin2) to Arduino2(RX).
Arduino2 makes a control decision based on what the char is, and gives the car a control signal.

The problem is the received char is taking 30 plus seconds to be received, even though it is transmitting about once per 100 milliseconds.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated,
thanks for getting back to me.

Can you check RB and RO parameters for the transmitter with XCTU? Try setting RB to 1 and RO to 0 for the transmitter. Take a look at “Serial Modes” on page 48 of the user manual https://www.digi.com/resources/documentation/digidocs/pdfs/90002173.pdf

Thanks for trying to help me.
The problem was the receiver xbee was counting in hexadecimal.
Here is the solution:

August 17, 2021 at 3:58 am

To prevent this with the S3B you have to desolder the resistor that goes to the RSSI led. Most Xbee modules use pin 6 as a signal strength indicator but on the S3B it is not. When pin 6 of this Xbee is pulled low on start up it enters a special mode that continuously counts up in hex. If you go to the terminal in X-CTU is will just be counting away. The resistor and led effectively pull down pin 6 enough to make it start in this mode every time. De-solder that resistor or led and it will work perfectly.

• Tim Marcello

Yes, that was the problem. I just connected pin6(PWM0/RSSI) to pin 1(3.3v), and repowered the device, and the hexadecimal counting stopped, and I started receiving the signals without delay. Thankyou so much for helping me, this problem has been ongoing for way to long without, being able to solve it.