Capacitors

Hello jessegrob94,

This is sort of a tough one because MFD can mean both millifarads or microfarads. (Click HERE for a Forum post regarding this dilemma.) I believe due to the age of capacitor it is most likely going to be in microfarads; or what we commonly have as µF. This means the 1000µF capacitors should work for the two 1000mfd capacitors. You will want a 2000µF part for the 2000mfd capacitor HERE. (Note that it may say 2mF or 2000uF. These are the same values.) My concern, however, is that you mention 3 terminals on the larger value capacitor, and most of these will only contain two. I did a little research and Murata has a nice explanation regarding how they can help as a filter. I mention this as I’m not sure how important that is for your application, and the capacitors in the link I provided do not have that third terminal.

In regard to hooking them up, it may be extremely important to know the polarity of the circuit as if they are not connected in the right polarity, you can expect some loud popping sounds in your future. Check out our guide referring to identifying the capacitor polarization indicators to ensure that can be confident you’re hooking them up correctly.