Surface Mount Capacitors and their Markings

Decoding Capacitor Part Markings

This guide is intended to take the mystery out of identifying part markings on the various styles of capacitors.

All capacitors are measured in Farads. The scale of which they are measured can sometimes be different. If they are measured in Farads, Microfarads, Nanofarads, or Picofarads can be determined by the physical size and type of the capacitor.

Click here for a refresher on the Metric System and how to convert between the metric scales.

Larger parts might spell this outright as the product has the space to do it. When they do there are a couple of things to be careful of.

• You may see the units of millifarad referenced as MF instead of mF like the convention tells us it should be. with that said, millifarad is rarely used.

• Even though the proper way to call out microfarads would be µF, there will be times that is specified using an “MFD”

As the parts get smaller, the specifications tend to be conveyed by a code. The type of capacitor and the convention of the code used on it will play a part in decoding what it actually means.

Aluminum Electolytic Capacitors

These are usually large enough that their specifications will be printed on them but there are expections to this. The most notable example would be the surface mount version.

To learn more about the voltage

will have markings two to four characters is length.

Three-Digit EIA

Standard-tolerance SMD capacitors use a 3-digit code to mark the capacitance value on the part. The first two numbers will indicate the significant digits, and the third will be the multiplier. ‘R’ is used to indicate the position of a decimal point.

10 Significant Digits
7 Multiplier

To get our value we multiply our significant digits against our multiplier. We simply add that number of zeros on to the end. This value is in picofarads. To change to to microfarads, simply move the decimal point to the left six spaces.

10 + 0,000,000 = 100,000,000pf
100,000,000 pf = 100µF

Four-Digit EIA

Similar to the three digit EIA, the four digit format uses the beginning values to indicate the significant digits, the last digit as the multiplier and a letter designating a tolerance. ‘R’ is used to indicate the position of a decimal point. The four digit format allows for higher precision.

Tolerance code

Code Tolerance Value in %
B 0.1
C 0.25
D 0.5
F 1
G 2
J 5
K 10
M 20
Z +80/-20

The Tolerance code D = 0.5%

Two-Digit EIA ( EIA-198)

Sometimes there is so little room on the part that even the standards are not practical. The EIA-198 system of part marking uses two characters (one number and one letter) in which the letter represents the value and number represents the multiplier. There are a couple of things to know.

• *This system is case sensitive.
    You will notice that by using some of the lower-case versions of letters they could eliminate many of the troublesome numbers such as I and O. They too easily get confused for 1 and 0.

• The capacitance codes are not based upon the capacitance value like the others
    The first digit is used for capacitance and correlate to the following tables.

• Please be aware, While this system is still measured in picofarads, The multiplier code is one more than what we are used to in the other two methods.

Code pF
A 1
B 1.1
C 1.2
D 1.3
E 1.5
F 1.6
G 1.8
H 2
J 2.2
K 2.4
a 2.6

Code pF
L 2.7
M 3
N 3.3
b 3.5
P 3.6
Q 3.9
d 4
R 4.3
e 4.5
S 4.7
f 5

Code pF
T 5.1
U 5.6
m 6
V 6.2
W 6.8
n 7
X 7.5
t 8
Y 8.2
y 9
Z 9.1
Multiplier Code Value
0 1
1 10
2 100
3 1,000
4 10,000
5 100,000
6 1,000,000
7 10,000,000
8 100,000,000
9 0.1

Comparison

Three-Digit EIA Four-Digit EIA Two-Digit EIA
( EIA-198)
image image image
107 107D A8
100µF 100µF 100µF
- 0.5% -

Voltage Ratings

Some capacitors also have a voltage rating that is indicated by a two character code begining with a number and ending with a letter.

Code Voltage Code Voltage Code Voltage
0E 2.5VDC 2A 100VDC 3L 1.2KVDC
0G 4.0VDC 2Q 110VDC 3B 1.25KVDC
0L 5.5VDC 2B 125VDC 3N 1.5KVDC
0J 6.3VDC 2C 160VDC 3C 1.6KVDC
1A 10VDC 2Z 180VDC 3D 2KVDC
1C 16VDC 2D 200VDC 3E 2.5KVDC
1D 20VDC 2P 220VDC 3F 3KVDC
1E 25VDC 2E 250VDC 3G 4KVDC
1V 35VDC 2F 315VDC 3H 5KVDC
1G 40VDC 2V 350VDC 3I 6KVDC
1H 50VDC 2G 400VDC 3J 6.3KVDC
1J 63VDC 2W 450VDC 3U 7.5KVDC
1M 70VDC 2J 630VDC 3K 8KVDC
1U 75VDC 2K 800VDC 4A 10KVDC
0K 80VDC

Resources

If you would rather do some pointing and clicking to find your value I recommend you check out our SMD Capacitor Code Calculator.

Quick links to other capacitor related topics you may find helpful.

Part Selection and Part Markings

Learn more about capacitors

Capacitor topics by Type

1 Like

I haven’t been able to find an answer to this question, so maybe you’ve got it.

I’m trying to identify SMD caps on an existing assembly, and they’re marked with what appears to be the two-character EIA-198 code, but followed by a caret (^), e.g. A5^ . Any idea what that might indicate? Voltage, manufacturer, tolerance, etc.?

Welcome to the Technical Forum. Can you post pictures with the part markings clearly shown? We can then try to see if we can identify them with the pictures. If you can give dimensions that would be useful also.

No pictures available. It’s just as I described, three characters, that’s all. The one marked A5^ (previously mentioned, and presumably a .1uF) is a 1210. This board is from the late 1980s.

I am not sure what the A5 is. You can look through the .1uf 1210 options we have on the website:

I would try to figure out with the circuit how much voltage this needs to handle. You can narrow the search by the voltage to get less options. If you are unsure you can just choose the highest voltage. Though doing this could make the tolerance worse. I am not sure with the information provided what the voltage would be.

Then why are you replying to a question about “Surface Mount Capacitors and their Markings”?

Please have someone reply who understands the subject.

Hi reallybadguy ,

I notified all our technical staff, to see if anyone can identify what this vintage caret symbol ^ would be. Hopefully someone will have knowledge on the importance of what this vintage symbol means. I am hoping we get a response today, but possibly this week sometime as we may have some currently out of office.

Thanks for your patience and look forward to one of our employees to hopefully have more knowledge on this.

@DigiKey_Internal

I searched alot and will look some more but did notice that AVX uses ^ as a logo sometimes it is filled in like an arrow head and sometimes it is a sharp ^ however it always is on the left of the part but I do not know how they did it in the 80’s … I will keep looking and update If I find more.

1 Like