Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Codes

I have a vehicle control module that contains 12 individual surface mounted electrolytic capacitors. I need to find replacement capacitors but am having a difficult time interpreting the codes.

Can someone help me decipher the following four codes? Thanks…!!!

One group of capacitors reads:
|
50E

The second group of capacitors reads:
4R7
3 5E

A single capacitor that reads:
VFK.
6V3

Another single capacitor that reads:
35S.
6P7

1 Like

Welcome to the Technical Forum. Can you provide the pictures of the capacitors along with the part marking? It would be usedful to provide size with each one also.

1 Like

Pics attached… Capacitor locations are C8-C18, and C20.

I’m not sure of the size.

It is very hard to do this withoug sizes. Though here is the list I found for the

A single capacitor that reads:
VFK.
6V3

Here is the list for what I foundL: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitors/58?s=N4IgjCBcoEwAwBYCcVQGMoDMCGAbAzgKYA0IA9lANogIDsABAK0BiIAuqQA4AuUIAqgDsAltwDymALKFs%2BAK4AnQiAC%2BpALQJUIDJBwES5KiADMcFGxVqQMY2myd69OnMxOAbADoTAN3YqgA

I am unable to narrow down the search as I do not have size.

|
50E unable to verify

The second group of capacitors reads:
4R7
3 5E

I would assme this is 4.7uf and 35 volts on this link:

I could not narrow down to one part as no size provided. You will need to verify if thes are correct.

1 Like

THANK YOU…!!! Should I de-solder and remove one of each capacitor and try to get a measurement? Do you need height and diameter only or something more?

You might not need to, the spacing between the solder pads would dictate what size cap can go in the spot. How much space is there between the two pads? the overall diameter of the cap is a good guess if you want to avoid a de-solder; those appear to be surface mount.

I used some digital calipers and was able to get the diameter and the height from the circuit board for each of the capacitors. I am providing those dimensions below. I also took a side picture with a pen in the background for scale… not sure if that helps or not. Some of them are spaced in a row with just enough room between them for maybe a credit card to slide in between them.

|
50E
Diameter: 4.0 mm
Height: 5.0 mm

4R7
3 5E
Height: 5.25 mm

VFK.
6V3
Diameter: 6.6 mm
Height: 6.0 mm

35S.
6P7
Diameter: 4.2 mm
Height: 5.5 mm

Hello,
Thanks for the dimensions, the parts are close together on the board so you won’t want to exceed the diameter. In order to match these we need the base measurement, the L x W of the black base of the capacitors. Looks like you may have 4.7uf, 47uf and 10uf value capacitor but I’m not sure on the 623 I 50E capacitor, can you also send us a photo of just that capacitor clearly showing the markings, thanks.

1 Like

Hi Greg,

For future reference on help identifying the SMD caps and their markings take a look at the post by Aaron Rollens found in link: Surface Mount Capacitors and their Markings

The first 623 50E cap could be 623uF at 50V. Unfortunately we do not have any at 623uF to offer in SMD package of electrolytics we carry so perhaps the 623 marking isn’t the capacitance value. I’m also not sure of the value of this cap. Like Steve said, if you can send a more clear pic of this cap it might help us better.

The second is likely 4.7uF 35V something like 565-EMVY350ARA4R7MD55GCT-ND which is 4mm diameter at 5.2mm height or 56-MAL215370478E3CT-ND which is 4mm Dia at 5.3mm height.

Third is likely 47uF at 35V though I found none at 6.6mm Dia, only 6.3 closest with height of 6mm: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitors/58?s=N4IgjCBcoCwGxVAYygMwIYBsDOBTANCAPZQDa4ArAOwCcCAuoQA4AuUIAyiwE4CWAdgHMQAX0JwaiECkgYcBYmRAwADDQDMGkIxCt2XPkNGEwFFSqky5eQiUjlT6%2BNuZtInHgOFiQAJhUwktDSaFg2ivbKVAAEAK0AYi66biAAqvy8LADyqACyuOjYAK7cuMYgALRByFA8RQp2Dto%2BFb6Wtdz1tkoUzSIiQA

Last I think is 10uF at 35V but we don’t have any at that 4.2mm dia, the link below shows all in stock at 4mm diameter and 5.4mm to 5.5mm height.

Hope that helps. Have a wonderful day.

Thank you all very much for all the information and assistance thus far. This board is from 2006/2007 era so it is approaching 20 years old.

As requested, I am providing some close-up pics of all capacitors. I could be wrong but when I zoom in on the second capacitor’s markings, it seems to be “5D1” as opposed to “501” but I’m just not sure.

I hope these close-up pics help to clarify. If the current modern line of capacitors won’t fit, could I either find a slightly higher V capacitor that does fit or would it be possible to switch these to ceramic capacitors?

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Hello @greg_stephens12

Thank for the photos of the capacitors, the only capacitor that I could not find a cross for on our site is the capacitor with part markings 623 50E on it.

For the 4.7uF 35V, capacitor with the 5D1 part marking, part number 565-EMVY350ARA4R7MD55GCT-ND is a good replacement for it.

For the 47uF 6.3V capacitor with the VFK part marking, part number 732-8281-1-ND is a good replacement for it.

For the 10uF 35V capacitor with the 6P7 part marking, part number 1572-106SML035MD4CT-ND is a good replacement for it.

Hi greg_stephens12,

For the part marked as:

|
50E
Height: 5.0 mm

As neither “623” nor “50” would make sense as standard capacitance values, I would suggest that the “|” is likely a “1”, as in 1uF. Then the top line would be just a date/lot code. This would make it a 50V 1uF cap, such as these:

Thank you to everyone who took the time to lend a helping hand. I have placed an order for the replacement capacitors and hopefully, I can get this device working again.

Thanks again…!!!

1 Like