3DXTECH FAQ's

Where does 3DXTECH manufacture its filament? They manufacture at their plant just outside Grand Rapids, Michigan using state-of-the-art equipment, including Labtech extruders and high-precision Beta Lasermike dual axis lasers. 3DXTECH’s owner, Matt Howlett, has over 20 years of experience in the high-performance polymer industry and works to leverage that experience to make some of the most advanced materials in FDM/FFF printing.

Will 3DXTECH filament work in my printer? Great news – Their filaments work in practically all desktop printers! If your printer accepts 1.75mm, 2.85mm, or 3.0mm filaments – there’s an excellent chance you can use their filaments. The filaments can be used with practically all desktop 3D printers, including Makerbot, Airwolf, Ultimaker, Up! Afinia, Makergear, Solidoodle, Lutzbot, Flashforge – and many more.

Which diameter filament does 3DXTECH supply? They supply filament in 1.75mm and 2.85mm diameter.

Can I use 3DXTECH filament with my Stratasys FDM printer? If you own a commercial printer (i.e., Stratasys) – there are ways to use our filament in these systems. We have several large corporate users who purchase our specialty filaments for use in their Stratasys printers. Therefore, if you have a Stratasys printer – there’s a good chance you can figure out how to use many of our high-quality 1.75mm filaments at substantial savings.

Will using 3DXTECH filament void my printer’s warranty? In a word – NO. In the USA, you are protected by the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (View Wiki). This states: A Warrantor cannot require that only Branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. It is illegal for a company to refuse warranty work due to the use of third-party products.

Essentially, a warrantor cannot require a customer to exclusively purchase their OEM Materials for their printer by the threat of voiding the machine warranty.

Therefore, you can use 3DXTECH with Stratasys, Makerbot, Zortrax, and other printers that threaten to void your warranty. Their lawyers know that the threat is toothless, but they are betting you don’t know!

Can I use Carbon Fiber Filament in my printer? Bottom line – YES. If your printer accepts 3rd party filament (open source), then it can print with our carbon fiber filaments. If you can print with PLA, then you can print with their Carbon Fiber PLA. If you can print with ABS, PETG, or Nylon (you have a heated bed), then you can print with their Carbon Fiber ABS, PLA, and Nylon grades. But – carbon fiber is abrasive and will wear out a brass nozzle – see below.

What type of nozzle should be used when printing with Carbon Fiber filament? It is recommended an orifice size of at least 0.4mm to prevent clogging. Furthermore, they recommend using either stainless steel or hardened steel nozzles to reduce/minimize nozzle wear. Brass nozzles can be used, but they should be changed after 1kg of filament (give or take). The good news is that brass nozzles are cheap and should be considered consumable if you choose to take advantage of high-performance grades reinforced with carbon fiber. Need a hardened nozzle? Make sure to check out 3DXTECH’s A2 Hardened Steel Nozzles – HERE. Our A2 hardened steel nozzles have 20X the wear resistance of brass!

3D Printer Experience Level Filament Guide

Novice: A beginner using an entry-level 3D printer should have minimal problems using this material
Intermediate: User has several months of experience with a moderate to high-quality 3D printer
Advanced: User has > 1 year of printing experience and is using a high-quality commercial machine
Expert: User has a significant amount of experience and is using a high-performance or heavily modified 3D printer

image image image image
PLA ABS PC PEEK
HIPS ASA PVDF PEKK
PETG Low-Gloss PETG PPS PEI, 1010
ESD-PLA Nylon PSU PEI, 9085
ESD-PETG Flexibles ESD-PC PPSU
PLA+CF PC-ASA ESD-PVDF ESD-PEI
PETG+CF PC-ABS ESD-PPS ESD-PEKK
PETG+GF PC+CF
Nylon+GF
ESD-ABS
ABS+CF